Thursday, April 9, 2009

Lack writing focus? Try these tips!

A question that I’m asked frequently by aspiring freelance writers is this: “How do I get and stay focused on my writing?” If you’re just starting a freelance writing career and need a bit of help in this regard, here are some tried-and-true tips.

1. Give yourself time to brainstorm and make a list of all the things you would like to write about. Then breeze through that list and narrow it down to your top areas of interest. Write on these two topics for awhile and set aside all else for the time being.

2. At the beginning of your week, sketch out a plan for the week and include only tasks that include your two chosen topics. Whatever you’ve decided to write about—whether molecular fusion or growing a patio garden, for example—focus on the kinds of articles you want to write. Studying various publications and get a feel for the kinds of articles they publish. Then, get busy and write some queries to a few of these markets.

3. Start small by making a few simple changes in your life that give your writing greater priority. If you're trying to develop a freelance career while working a full-time job, ease into it. Giving yourself just 30 minutes each day to write queries, research markets or polish an article draft will be enough to get you moving in a productive direction. It doesn't matter when you schedule those 30 minutes—it could be early morning or on your lunch hour. The important thing is to do it consistently.

4. Part of your weekly plan should include networking with other businesses and writers, even if it’s just through Facebook, blogging or joining a local writer’s group. Contact with other writers will keep your passion for writing alive, even when the pressures of work and family threaten your focus. Of course, networking can result in writing assignments, as well.

5. Have fun. Writing should be a joy not a chore. If you’ve tried all these things and are still unfocused, consider hiring a writing coach (me or someone else) to give you an assist in this area. It can make all the difference in your writing path spiraling up instead of out of control!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you work as a ghost writer?

Julie

Anonymous said...

What's a writing coach?

Julie

Hi, this is Gina. said...

Yes, I do. I've ghostwritten several books for clients--from children's lit to business books to full-length nonfiction manuscripts. Do you have a project in mind? I'd be happy to help! Best, Gina

Anonymous said...

Would a contract be involved?

Julie

Hi, this is Gina. said...

Visit Ginawriter.com for an explanation of my creativity coaching. There's no formal contract involved. It can be hourly, as you need it.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Hi, I came over, inspired by your utter enthusiasm for ballet over at Paree!
Once here, I see you are a writer like myself. Discovering what to write about is never a problem for me; I have always lots of ideas. Getting them published and placed, though, IS the problem! My regular regional newspaper has cut its budget for freelances so unless it's a big news story, they take nothing now. I've written a novel which is uploaded to one of my blogs, but not yet published (I'm up to my 7th rejection letter. Yep, I know J. K. Rowling had 12 of those, but it doesn't help somehow!). Hey ho, so that's my particular writing problem. How are you faring?

Hi, this is Gina. said...

Hi Lynn, thank you for the comment! I'm faring pretty well because I've worked over the years at creating multiple income streams from writing--not just freelance assignments but I work as a professional editor (everything from book mss to media releases), creativity/publishing consultant and, as a nonfiction author I receive royalties. Oh, and I own an inspired events planning company! (check out www.epiphanyworks.org) Keep circulating your work to as many places as you can, including online newswire services and online paying markets. Alot of print stuff has gone online so that's an ever-growing market. Seven rejections is nothing--keep sending it out! It's a game of odds and the more you get your work in front of people, the greater the odds you will be published. Good luck! Bonne chance!